Saturday, October 11, 2008

Positive Diagnosis for Celiac's Disease today

Well, the gastroenterologist called me personally today and said that the biopsy proved positive for Celiac's Disease. We had a long conversation and she answered a lot of my questions. I'm really thankful because she seems so kind and personable, which is refreshing. She is going to have the nutritionist call me next week so we can set up an appointment to meet with her. She will be able to answer a lot of my questions and I will finally know how paranoid I have to be! :o) I mean there is so much involved if you take it to the highest degree. Someone told me that MSG is free-gluten (whatever that means) and that Wal-mart adds MSG to their ground beef, but Sam's doesn't. Then someone tells me that shredded cheese might be dusted with flour to keep it from sticking. Then you have allergy warning labels all over everything telling you that the product was made in a place that processes wheat, etc. (My doctor told me to remember that allergy warnings were put there by lawyers to cover themselves and it may not mean that the product has gluten, so that made me feel a little better and that there is hope.)I just don't know how strict I am going to have to be. She said that after Daniel has been on a gluten-free diet for 3 months, they would do another blood test, and if the diet is good, the blood test should test negative for Celiac's Disease. I can tell that Daniel is going to be a good self-regulator. He turned down bread and lasagna tonight, and opted for a big salad and an apple for dessert. I don't know how soon the rest of us will be tested but I'm sure it will be in the near future. Mark already tested negative a few weeks ago, so that just leaves 10 more of us! Hee, hee!

Thanks for your prayers!

2 comments:

Paul said...

This will defintely be exciting...and interesting!!!

mere said...

Darlene,
Praise God! Praise Him that you have such wonderful medical care, and that Daniel will be healed. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to learn and re-learn some things. Simple cooking and simple ingredients are the way to go. Please check out these links for inspiration:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

http://nourishedkitchen.com/

http://www.elanaspantry.com/

The really neat thing here is that probably everyone in your family will benefit from a gluten free diet or at least one that really limits those types of foods. I believe that you can cook for a large family and do this. I am praying for you!

Will call you later...

mere