Thursday, October 16, 2008

More Celiacs?

Time will tell! Jim had his blood test for Celiac's today and 7 of the children had their blood drawn for Celiac's yesterday. I got the orders from the doctor on Wednesday afternoon and decided that I would just go for it. So, all 7 of the other kids under 18 had their blood tests. The doctor told me that we could come into his office and have it done. I don't think so! (They did a horrible job drawing Mark's blood a few years ago!) But I said I wanted to have it done at a Lab near our house. The nurse that works has always done such a good job, so I really wanted the kids to have a good first experience with her. We started with Paul, who I was sure would turn pale, sweat, and pass out, but he did great! It looks like he has grown up from when he was 6 years old. Hee, hee! Then on to Sarah, Joel, and Ben. I have to tell you that Elisabeth started crying while we were still at home saying that she didn't want them to take her blood. I kept explaining to her what they would do and that the only part that really hurt was the stick of the needle at the very beginning and that it only took about 15 seconds and it would be done. Well anyway, when we get to Ben, she really starts crying and she says, "I feel so sorry for Ben." I told her, "Ben's not crying", although he kind of looked like he wanted to. So then, it was Elisabeth's turn. She resisted going into the room, then I had to hold both of her arms. She started the screaming, but we told her it was OK to cry, but not to scream. (It reminded me of Rebekah when she was younger and she was going to have a Tetanus shot. She told me she was going to hit the nurse and I said, "Oh, no, you're not!") So after it was over, she says, "Mom, you were right about everything you told me. It wasn't that bad." Next is Thomas, Mr. Stoic. He is resigned to being Mr. Brave. He is watching the needle the whole time. I hesitate to write this next line, but it was just so cute. As soon as she puts the needle in his arm, he toots, which tells me he was a little surprised. The nurse laughs and asks him if he is OK. He nods that he's OK and he's done. Now, it's on to Abby, who has been watching everyone before her go through this. The nurse has her sit on my lap and hold both of her arms. She is crying, but not resisting which I was happy about. Then it is over. (Thanks, Mom and Dad, for the good veins!) Everyone is done in about 25 minutes or less. She lets ALL of them pick out a piece of candy (she had some yummy candy too) and a sticker!



So now, we are just waiting for the results that will probably come sometime next week. Maybe Daniel will be the only one, I don't know. Hannah and I are still waiting for the orders for our blood tests.

So, that is the latest in the Celiac's Disease saga! I have an appointment with a nutritionist tomorrow, so I am looking forward to that. Daniel and I went to a Celiac's support group meeting Wednesday night and then we stopped at Whole Foods to pick up some gluten-free cereal and a few other things to try. Daniel said he is already feeling better and that his stomach doesn't hurt anymore, so that makes it all worthwhile!

1 comment:

Paul said...

I was kind of surprise that I didn't pass out. I remember almost passing out many other times.