Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Miscommunication Comedy

This is on the subject of John knowing how to unlock the doors by himself and get outside. Jim and I are concerned about the fact that he might get outside without our knowledge and get hurt. So, one day last week we were discussing what kind of lock we were going to put on the door to keep him from opening it and going outside by himself. There were several different opinions and then Daniel said, "I have an idea." So Jim says, "See, Daniel probably has a different idea." Then, Daniel says sarcastically, "I think we should have no lock on the door." So then Jim starts telling us a story about a little boy that gets carried off by a coyote and how we are doing this for John's safety - I don't remember the whole story correctly. Well, then several of us start smiling and kind of chuckling which sets Jim off on a spiel about how he doesn't think it is funny that John could get carried off by a coyote. Well, when he started saying this again, I just couldn't hold it in anymore and went from a smile to a full burst of laughter! Poor Jim! I told him I could explain why I was laughing and he said he would really like to hear it because he would like to know why I thought it was funny that John could get carried off by a coyote. Hearing that again just started me off again into this unstoppable burst of laughter and I couldn't even talk anymore about it. I actually asked him if I could go spend the day with Rebekah, so I went and did that, all the while trying to think about how I could explain why I was laughing and how I still loved my little son! :o) I left the house around 1:30 and I got home around 8 p.m. So, when I got home I was able to explain to him why I was laughing. It was obviously not the fact that I didn't love my son or that I thought the lock was a bad idea, in fact, I was on board with putting the lock on the door. I told him that when I think of something happening to John, him getting carried off by a coyote is probably way down on the list of possibilities and it seemed so unlikely, that that was why I was laughing. Plus, when he kept saying this thing that seemed unlikely to happen, it just set off my funny bone. I told him that when I thought of the dangers, I thought of him wandering off and getting lost, going down the driveway and into the road and getting hit by a car, stepping into an ant pile. getting stung by bees, climbing up the steep stairs and falling out of the tree house, finding a snake, etc. But I never really thought of John being carried off by a coyote. I guess I was thinking of the things that could happen during the day. Not that it couldn't happen, it just wasn't on my radar. But I guess it would be more likely to happen if he got out at night. So, he said he understood and we had a good laugh about it! But for the first few days, every time I thought about him saying that statement, I would just start laughing out loud!

We have affectionately named it the "coyote lock"!



There could be a coyote on the other side of that thar door!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, if he gets on a chair, he can't reach that lock? How about if Thomas holds him up? haha Around here, you worry about your little dogs getting hauled off by a coyote and your kids getting picked up by stranger danger or mauled by a vicious dog. But I don't think too much about any of it./ I'm glad John is now safe, Sorry, I'm a little late with this comment. Love, Mom