Monday, February 7, 2011

Snow in Texas?

February 4th, 2011 was an amazing day! We woke up to snow covering our land with a blanket of white! The most fun thing to me is seeing how the kids react to it. Sarah ran to get the camera so she could take pictures of it before anyone stepped in it.



They were all upset when our neighbor drove his truck up the road and messed up the road with his tire tracks.



Mark walked up the hill in the tire tracks so as not to mess the snow up anymore than was necessary. They were just enjoying it and soaking it all in. Later in the day I saw Ben walking around and he told me, "I just feel like I have to walk everywhere and see it all before it melts." I just thought that was so sweet to see him enjoying it.



Our other neighbor tried going up the hill a few times but didn't make it out until later in the day, so everyone had fun watching various people drive up the hill. Our neighbor said he was going to the store to get kitty litter and we thought that was pretty unusual.

In the morning it was too powdery for it to stick together to make snowballs. Mark and I walked up to the top of the hill to see how much snow was there and then we went back to the house. We were analyzing all the animal tracks as we walked on the road. Mark even "made" his own mysterious tracks. Very funny! Can you guess who made the following tracks?











Everyone went back up the hill, but this time we brought some big tree buckets to try sliding down in. They were big enough for Jim and I to get in too. It was fun, but someone had to pretty much push you all the way down the hill or you would stop pretty soon once they stopped pushing. But I think the kids had a lot of fun anyway! Jim went with us but you could tell he was cold!







Tom and I made a snowman, but it was mostly me. Tom made the middle of the snowman and I made the top and the bottom part. He came out and I told him if he wanted to help me, then he needed to put on some shoes because he had been walking around everywhere without his shoes and no mittens. So, he told me, "Well, I guess I'm going inside then." So off he went into the house. I guess he cared more about being barefoot than about being with me. Oh well! At that moment it was Tom's way or the highway! Some of the kids came out and helped me decorate the snowman. Notice he is making the longhorn symbol!



I was planning on taking some pictures of the kids with the snowman, but after I took 2 pictures of the snowman he unexpectedly fell forward and that was the end of him! He had a clean snow veneer that I had put on the front because underneath he was really a mixture of snow, dirt, grass and leaves! So, when he fell over, he lost his clean veneer for the pictures! LOL (Oh, and I gave up on Tom with his shoes and mittens because he walked around all day like that. It was go outside and get cold to the point of red hands and feet, then come inside by the fire and get warm, outside, inside, etc.) But later, Tom and I made a tiny snowman and decorated him with cedar tree berries, a little piece of pointy carrot that I carved, a wreath made from morning glory vines, a little feathery grass top, and some twigs with berries on them. It turned out really cute. He helped me walk around and collect stuff for it and he made it from clean snow that he had collected. So we still made a snowman together, just a small one!





The kids had fun throwing snowballs at each other.









Regressing back to the morning, the kids took John outside in his footy pajamas. I don't think it was a good experience because he got really cold and started crying. I told them to take him inside and we would get him officially dressed, along with shoes and his coat. So, we get him dressed and I try to put on his mittens and he just starts crying like he realizes that he is going outside and he doesn't want to. It was so funny! I just wanted to take some pictures of him outside in the snow and he is mad and doesn't even want to look at me!







We are definitely not outfitted for snow. No wool socks, no good snow mittens, etc. So, I got my pictures and we went inside. He seemed to enjoy looking outside at it from the inside though.



He calls it "snowf" so it sounds really cute. Even today he is saying "snowf gone". He is starting to put two words together at a time. My little baby is growing up! Sniff, sniff!

I forgot to tell you that they saved all the snow on the trampoline and then they jumped on it at one time. By the time they got done, they were just covered with snow! Looks like fun. I kept thinking someone was going to hit their head or something like that, but everyone survived! I tried to upload the trampoline video but it does not want to load, so I will have to try some other way for you to see it. It is 2 1/2 minutes, so maybe it is too long to load. Frustrating! I might add a few more random pictures at some point that are pretty interesting.

Love all of you,
Darlene



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Thanks for posting them. And letting me know.